Pet Ownership Transfers
In order to complete the transfer, we need proof of ownership and will require the following. NO EXCEPTIONS.
The previous owner’s signature on the transfer of ownership form or a bill of sale from the previous owner to you that includes the microchip number.
If the previous owner does not or cannot sign the form, then the new owner will need to provide Petidco with one of the following documents as proof of ownership:
1. A bill of sale from the previous owner to the new owner that includes the microchip number of the pet; or
2. A letter from a licensed veterinarian, on their letterhead, indicating the microchip number and new ownership of the pet; or
3. A city/county pet license in conjunction with vaccination records including the microchip number of the pet; or
4. A valid adoption agreement for the pet in the new owner’s name; or
5. If the previous owner is deceased: the previous owner’s death certificate or obituary notice.
Please note that we will not accept vet bills as proof of ownership.
Ownership transfers are processed in the order in which they are received. The processing time can take up to 14 business days after all documentation is received and verified. As well as the payment being received.
A fee of $25.24 plus tax will be charged to transfer the ownership of a pet. Payment methods are: Visa, MasterCard, Cheque or Money Order.
The ownership transfer fee is waived only under the following circumstances:
If you adopted from a shelter or rescue we will require a copy of the adoption contract/agreement in your name and only if the initial registration fee was paid.
If the previous owner is deceased and you can provide either a copy of the death certificate or obituary notice.
Shelters or rescues may send ownership transfer requests on their letterhead.
Please mail, email or fax the paperwork to us.
Please note that the current owner on file can set up an online account here: Pet Owner Sign Up and then complete a transfer of ownership online.
Petidco may mail or email the new owner a microchip registration document within 10-14 business days after the ownership transfer is processed.
Keep this for your records. As the information you provide when registering your pet may be treated as a legal document, and will be used to reunite you with your pet if they ever go missing. Please ensure that the information listed on your confirmation document is accurate.